As you know, there are three ways to become competitive:
- Be small and brisk. Keep spending under control, minimize transaction costs and do not introduce costly processes.
- Be more effective than competitors. Another way to achieve more with the same resources (through know-how or specific processes)
- Make products better than competitors. The most difficult way.
I like the approach of being small and brisk: it provides for the absence of strict state control (which is reserved for larger victims), the existence of a «flat» organization and the absence of the need to get involved in large capital-intensive projects. Black magic consists of the following components:
- Experienced and well-managed management team. Having a flat organization requires more effort to manage personnel.
- Thoughtful, but flexible processes. Everything that can be automated. All tasks should be scheduled and implemented through specialized online systems.
- Access to internal systems should be from any device anywhere in the world at any time of the day. This also requires a very strong degree of data protection.
- The only working tool of the employee should be a laptop. All the rest — additions that slightly improve life, but which can not be entirely relied upon.
- Key employees of the company should be able to be in any place in the world within 48 hours. Many opportunities require instantaneous reaction and personal presence.